Ever since I first became pregnant 14 years ago Yoga Nidra has been my saving grace when I am short on sleep.
Whether it was –
* pregnancy insomnia
* the months of sleep deprivation that comes with a newborn baby
* wet beds that need changing at 3am
* sitting up all night with a vomiting child
* or children crawling into my bed night after night after night …
I have been through them all (many times!) and Yoga Nidra has rescued me every time.
What is Yoga Nidra?
Yoga Nidra is a guided meditation for deep rest and relaxation. 40 minutes of Yoga Nidra makes me feel like I had a 4 hour sleep.
Wikipedia says “Yoga nidra or yogic sleep is a state of consciousness between waking and sleeping, like the “going-to-sleep” stage, typically induced by a guided meditation.”
Why is Yoga Nidra so amazing for mums?
- you can do it with or without kids at home
- you don’t have to ‘sleep’ during the day to feel refreshed
- you can do it any time of day
- you can do it sitting or lying down
- it is like ‘sleep boost’ without needing to have a sleep
- you don’t have to DO anything … just listen
My first Yoga Nidra practice was given to me by my Yoga teacher on CD. I listened to that same recording for years. These days there are so different online options to access Yoga Nidra as well as apps on your phone.
If you have never tried Yoga Nidra here are a few I enjoy: