Mums & Bubs movies – everything you need to know!
When my eldest child was a baby one of my most indulgent ‘new Mum’ activities was going to the movies almost every week! For about the first 12 weeks of her life she would snuggle into her sling and sleep pretty much through every movie I saw.
If you have never been to a Mums & Bubs movie session here are some things you should know:
- Most cinemas run a weekly screenings for Mums & Bubs. Such as the first session on a Wednesday morning. It will always be a new release.
- You will find Mums & Bubs sessions at major cinema complexes and more local arthouse cinemas.
- A handful of cinemas have a “Crying Room” (a sound-proof room inside the cinema) which means you can go to any movie, any day & time, that is showing in that cinema.
- Can you take a pram in? every cinema is different – some ask you to park them outside, some allow you to take them in but then leave in a designated area. Personally I have only ever taken a sling or the Baby Bjorn in. I find it much easier to navigate getting into the cinema and juggling bub once inside
- Many Mums & Bubs sessions DO NOT run during school holidays
- The sound should be lower than usual (so as not to damage little eardrums or frighten bubs) and lights should be left on low during the film (to ensure you can find bottles, food, nappies etc during the film). If this isn’t the case you should speak to an attendant.
- Change Tables – some cinemas actually bring a change table up into the cinema so you wont miss a thing if a pooey nappy arrives, others you will need to head to the toilets outside to use a changetable.
- Don’t worry if your baby is crying a bit, chatting, singing etc – everyone is in the same boat. If you feel it is especially disruptive simply head out of the cinema for a few minutes until bub settles.
- Most cinemas are happy for children up to the age of 5 to be admitted free to these sessions. Be aware, the older your child is, of the rating of films you go to see … they are still listening even if they are not watching
- Most cinemas offer reduced price tickets to Mums & Bubs session
If you have never been to a Mums & Bubs movie session and have felt unsure about it I encourage you to give it a go. It really is much easier to manage than you think it will be and a great way to get out of the house and do something for yourself.