I recently shared the set of intentions I have created to support me in 2016. I then received a message from a Mum, Cathy, saying: ” I have only just found the time to sit down and explore my intentions for this year … Now I need to figure out how to remember and use them when needed. Any suggestions on that?”
This is an excellent question and I have 3 simple strategies to share that I use to stay connected to my own intentions.
1. Create a visual reminder
My intentions are a series of words that help connect me to how I want feel, how I want to show up in the world and what I want to create in my life. Each word has a deeper and more complex meaning for me and simply by seeing the word I am reminded of it’s bigger purpose. I find it really helpful to create visual reminders that I will see without thought or effort as a way of frequently reminded of my intentions.
Some ideas on how some of my clients take action on this are:
- Create an A4 printable and stick on your fridge, pinboard or similar
- Make the words, or a single word your screen save on your phone and/or computer
- Write them on a post-it note and stick this on your bathroom mirror so you see it every time you are there.
- Other great places for a post-it note are inside your diary, on the car sun visor or any other place you see frequently without having to think about it
2. Create a regular reflection time
Creating regular time and space to reflect on my intentions and what I am experiencing in my life really supports me in staying connected. If I neglect this I am much more likely to stray off the path and end up cranky and frustrated in life.
Reflection time for me can be:
- morning 5 minute meditation
- arriving at school early and just taking 5 minutes to let my mind be still and reflective
- journalling – this is something I want to do more of this year.
- This year I bought a journal called “BLISSED” which I hope gives me a more structured reflective space
3. Notice when you feel internal conflict or tension
This is super important for me. When I notice I am feeling agitated a lot, snapping more, a bit flat or any other feeling that has a sense of tension or conflict for me I know I need to reflect on what I am doing day to day and whether it is in alignment to my intentions.
It is a pretty safe bet that if I am feeling these things I have lost connection with my intentions and am not taking actions that are aligned with them.
When I notice this it is the perfect time to stop, reflect and ask myself questions like:
- How can I create more (insert your own intention word here) today?
- What do I need to let go of to create space for (insert your own intention word here)?
- What support do I need to take action around (insert your own intention word here)?
- What small step can I take now to move closer to (insert your own intention word here)?
How do you stay connected to your goals and intentions? or is this something you have struggled with?